Black Mob Lures Peoria Police and Firefighters to Dumpster Fire, Then Starts Shooting them with Fireworks
Fireworks ambushes today, gun ambushes tomorrow. The police did not arrest a single person. Protect and Serve. What a sham!
Update-This is a separate incident than the one reported yesterday and not an update of Sunday nights incident.
An incident that left a Peoria policeman and firefighter with temporary hearing loss after being fired upon with mortar-type fireworks in Taft Homes is being reviewed by authorities Tuesday.
Just as the grand finale of the riverfront fireworks display was exploding over the Illinois River on Monday night, emergency responders were summoned to Taft Homes on a call of a burningDumpster.
A fire engine and two police officers were the first to respond. Peoria Fire Department Division Chief Gary Van Voorhis said a crowd that had been shooting firewworks as the engine arrived turned the tubes toward emergency personnel and ignited the contents.
One firework hit a firefighter in the shoulder, causing hearing loss. The firefighter declined medical attention and remained on duty, Van Voorhis said. Other fireworks struck the engine and caused burn marks on the vehicle.
Peoria Police Capt. Mike Scally, who was the event commander for the Red, White and Boom event on the riverfront, said one of the two officers who initially responded to Taft Homes also complained of hearing loss later in the night and went to the hospital for treatment.
The crowd that had gathered initially did not respond to officers’ commands to disperse and was fired upon with pepper ball guns. The crowd became compliant as more officers arrived, Scally said.
He described the fireworks recovered at the scene as “three- to four-inch” mortar shells.
As the grand finale of the Red, White and Boom! event exploded over the Illinois River, emergency responders were called at 9:46 p.m. to atrash bin fire in nearby Taft Homes, where commercial-grade fireworks had been shooting into the sky since before the riverfront show began.
A fire engine and two Peoria police officers responded, but encountered what police described as a crowd of hundreds of people and an impassable Hancock Street choked with trash and fireworks — both live and spent. The debris blocked access to the burning trash bin.
Police at that point began ordering the crowds to disperse, and firefighters hosed down the live fireworks and smoldering remnants of spent shells. That’s when mortar-type fireworks began firing toward and exploding near the officers and firefighters. Some people also hurled bottles and rocks, according to police.
At least three shells exploded on the engine, causing burn marks, and one hit a firefighter in the shoulder, charring his heat-resistant gear and temporarily initiating hearing loss. Division Chief Gary Van Voorhis said Tuesday the firefighter declined medical attention at the scene and remained on duty.
One of the first responding police officers also suffered some hearing loss and sought treatment at a local hospital later in the night, according to Peoria police Capt. Mike Scally, who also was the event commander for the riverfront fireworks display. The injured officer was not admitted to the hospital and had submitted a report on the incident before ending his shift.
“It was rowdy, and those fireworks were dangerous,” Scally said, estimating that the mortar-type fireworks had a “three- to four-inch” diameter. “They’re designed to go up in the air, not horizontal.”
As those first fireworks exploded around the firefighters, police radioed for additional backup, drawing officers who had been stationed Downtown to direct traffic, as well as troopers with the Illinois State Police and Park District Police.
Crowds initially resisted commands from police, authorities said, blocking the path of responding officers who used pepper ball guns to break up the group. One officer drove through a locked, gated portion of the wrought-iron fence that surrounds Taft to provide additional access to distressed officers. Doug Burgess, the Peoria police public information officer, said as many as 200 pepper balls were fired before the crowd came under control.
“Every officer that responded said pretty much the same thing — that it was chaotic and like a riot,” Burgess said. “Every officer received bruises and burn marks.”
The fire engine never made it to the burning trash bin. Van Voorhis said the fire was not threatening residents or property and was allowed to burn as officers assisted the engine in turning around and exiting Taft.
“Our main concern was the safety of our firefighters” once it became apparent no people or property were in danger, he said. “It’s not deserving for anyone to be shot at with fireworks.”
Van Voorhis added that firefighters have been targeted by fireworks before, but that the magnitude of the incident Monday was unprecedented. In response, the department will review its policy of how to respond to crowded areas with fires that don’t appear to threaten anyone’s physical well-being or nearby property.
Peoria police, too, will devise enhanced security measures for Taft Homes next year, Burgess said. Revelers there have traditionally held private firework displays on the Fourth and previously made targets of police and passersby, though not to the same extent as Monday.
The Peoria Housing Authority has staffed the Taft property with additional security for Fourth of July events for many years to deal with the large volume of people who come to the area for fireworks in the housing project and on the riverfront.
Meghan Lundeen, a spokeswoman for the PHA, said Tuesday that additional security was on hand Monday night and that staff cleaned up a large amount of firework debris Tuesday.
“There’s always more people (in Taft) on the Fourth. … A lot of people who are on our site at night are not residents,” she said. “In any neighborhood, more people means more potential for chaos.”
Blacks Mob Shoots Fireworks at Peoria Police and Firefighters Near the Taft Homes Sunday night, Forces Adams Street to close
A “major incident” involving a large group of people shooting fireworks at police and firefighters occurred near the Taft Homes just before 10 p.m. Sunday, about the same time the fireworks show on the riverfront was ending.
Police had to briefly shut down Adams and Eaton streets, near Taft, as they dispersed the large crowds.
No officers or firefighters were injured, dispatchers said on the radio.
At one point, police were ordered to tell those in the crowd to go into their apartments, leave or be arrested for unlawful assembly.
Comments-No one should be surprised. I’n 2009, a similar mob took place with an estimated 300+ blacks rioting. https://blackpeoria.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/peoria-niggers-riot-at-4th-of-july-fireworks-demonstration-at-the-riverfront/ A reoccurring theme in Peoria, and there is still silence on the issue. Black gang terrorism at its finest!
Peoria Blacks Declare War on Whites, 60+ African Americans hit the streets chanting “Kill all the White people”
Original Post from Peoria Chronicle below.
Tonight, around 11 p.m., a group of at least 60-70 African American youth marched down one of the side streets (W. Thrush) to the 4 lane main drag (Sheridan). They were yelling threats to white residents. Things such as we need to kill alll the white people around here. They were physically intimidating anyone calling for help from the police. They were surrounding cars. Cars on the main drag had to slam on their brakes to either avoid the youth blocking not only all four lanes, but a large section of the side street as well. fights were breaking out among them. They were rushing residents who looked out their doors, going on to porches, yelling threats to people calling the police for help.
Cars were doing U turns on the streets just to avoid the mob, mostly male. One youth stated his grandfather was white and several assaulted him on the spot. Onepolice officer answered the call. The youth split into two large groups, one heading north, the other south. They were also yelling racial threats to the police officer but he was outnumbered. Another police car did not show up until after the youth finally dispersed and the patty wagon (van) also eventually showed up.
Residents are very shaken, both black and white alike. This is the fifth large mob action in about a month with smaller groups of 10-12 are out threatening children and adults a few evenings a week or later into the night. The times vary, even occuring during the day. In talking to the police officer, they are short staffed. Residents were advised to simply keep inside and to lock their doors. In other words buckle down, it’s not even safe to sit on your porch or go into your yards.
My take? These are the same youths that run our schools and these are the same that make our schools unsafe, can’t make state standards, and assault teachers and staff. Why? Because there are no repercussions for their actions. At District 150, many are slapped on the wrist or told they suffer econmic let down or whatever and must need help. Even the Chief of Police who tried to correct this type of mob action on the south side streets by issuing J-Walking tickets a few years back, slapped them by removing the tickets. Why? Because the NAACP bitched up a storm. These were poor mis-understood children.
Time has come for us to step up. Us, I mean law abiding citizens and no, I don’t mean grab the rifles and pitchforks. Two wrongs don’t make a right. No, I mean it’s time we citizens hold our elected leaders responsible and make, no, demand they take action and end this shit once and for all. I don’t care if they have to stuff 10 to a cell, but if they are doing this type of crap in our streets, then lock them up.
Aw, but our City Leaders are too damn busy balancing the budget, raising our taxes, making up new fees, paying developers for hotels so Peoria can join the cliché and have walkways to the Civic Center. They do this by laying off cops, fireman, and city street workers.
If we were smart, we would band together, rent a real nice bus from Peoria Charter coach, put some Rap videos on the tvs on the bus, pull up to Thrush and Sheridan and load these poor mis directed youth onto them and drive them deep into the 5th District and let them out near Picture Ridge. Watch how fast this is taken care of then.
Sixty or more young people fought and yelled racist comments at residents as they walked down Thrush Avenue toward Sheridan Road on Friday night, according to eyewitness accounts.
“They were yelling ‘We’re gonna kill all the white people, this is our neighborhood,’” said Paul Wilkinson, 45, a resident who has lived in the neighborhood for 11 years and witnessed the incident about 11 p.m. He relayed the information over the weekend to police, city council members and at least one local blogger.
Peoria police Sunday confirmed there was an incident Friday night but said they were instructed not to comment on it. A desk sergeant said he had received calls on the story from media outlets in New York.
The mob covered all four lanes of Sheridan and the street on Thrush, Wilkinson said. A squad car with one police officer showed up quickly, and the group dispersed in two directions.
Wilkinson said the neighborhood has dealt with problems of drugs, guns and people fighting in the past but never anything that involved race. Since May 17, he has witnessed five incidents of groups either fighting or crowding the area in the neighborhood, he said.
A 13-year-old boy was indicted Tuesday by a Peoria County grand jury for allegedly robbing a South Side Bank branch last month at gunpoint.
Deonte Moore of 2815 W. Starr St. faces a single count of armed robbery for the April 13 heist at the bank’s 2119 SW Adams St. branch. Within 30 minutes, the boy was found in a garage behind a house in the 900 block of South Louisa Street and arrested.
His clothes had been splattered with ink from a dye pack placed in a bag of money taken from the bank.
He remained in the Peoria County Juvenile Detention Center on $300,000 bond.
State law allows a juvenile to be tried as an adult if he or she is older than 13 and a judge finds “it is not in the best interest of the public” for the youth to remain in the juvenile courts.
This means a sentence of at least 21 years and possibly up to 45 years in prison, given that a handgun was used, if the youth is convicted. Staying in the juvenile system would have sealed the case to the public, and any imprisonment would have ended at Moore’s 21st birthday.
His arraignment is scheduled for Thursday.
A judge on Monday will decide whether a Peoria man charged with rape will be able to stand trial in another county.
Kevin Lowe, an attorney representing Monterius Hinkle, said Thursday he believed his client wouldn’t be able to receive a fair trial based on the publicity of his arrest and subsequent appearances in court.
Hinkle, 21, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 26 years in prison in November for raping a 16-year-old girl after he grabbed her and dragged her through an alley, a yard and into his home in the 2800 block of West Malone Street in broad daylight.
While that case is now being appealed, Hinkle faces two other pending rape cases – one of which Lowe said he is attempting to have moved.
Hinkle’s cases also became a political football in last year’s campaign for the office of Peoria County state’s attorney.
Hinkle faces a combined 60 years in prison if convicted in the two cases, which involve alleged assaults in August and June 2007.
State’s Attorney Kevin Lyons said Monday that Peoria mayoral candidate General Parker has until Wednesday to withdraw from the race before his office decides how it will proceed.
Lyons said his office could petition a judge to remove Parker’s name from the ballot before the April 7 general election or pursue removal of Parker afterward if the challenger defeats incumbent Mayor Jim Ardis.
In either situation, Lyons said Parker is not eligible to hold public office because he has a felony conviction on his criminal record.
“There is no doubt, Mr. Parker will not hold municipal office with those felony convictions,” Lyons said. “If his objective is to see his name on the ballot, ye-haw to that. But he will not serve office.”
Parker, however, said Monday he is “not quitting,” despite an inability to hold municipal office because he has at least one felony conviction on his record stemming from a 1984 car theft in Peoria.
“I’m not bowing out of the race, and (Lyons’ office) can do what they feel after that,” Parker said. “They can’t make me quit, they can’t make me get off the ballot. I’m not quitting the people. Never have, never will. As long as they want me to continue fighting for them, that is what I’ll do.”
Lyons’ office sent a letter to Parker Thursday demanding he withdraw within one week.
Lyons said he will wait until Thursday before publicly saying how his office will proceed, but he was hoping Parker would have withdrawn by now.
“I gave Mr. Parker a courtesy week to withdraw mainly because most people seek public office, you hope, in a sense of altruism,” Lyons said. “You would like to afford them the opportunity to self-correct an ineligibility or conflict. I don’t think anyone believes Mr. Parker was interested in self-correcting.”
Lyons also said Parker’s plight to get his past crimes pardoned by the governor began at least two years ago, when a request was forwarded to then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Parker has previously said he hopes to get a pardon from Gov. Pat Quinn’s office.
“Mr. Parker knew very well that he was ineligible (to run for mayor),” Lyons said.
Resolving Parker’s situation also comes with a tight deadline.
Tom Bride, executive director of the Peoria Election Commission, said the beginning of absentee, in-person voting at his office could begin as soon as Wednesday. Early voting is March 16.
Bride said if Parker or any candidate files a withdrawal request Tuesday, it can go before an electoral board which can accept it. But once any type of voting begins this week, withdrawal requests won’t be accepted.
He said it is not the Election Commission’s job to remove candidates from ballots, even if they are convicted felons.
A judge can do that, Lyons said. But he also understands that by doing so, it can be costly, because ballots have to be redone.
Also Monday, City Council members were relatively mum toward the mayoral race. No one publicly called for Parker to withdraw. Mayor Jim Ardis could not be reached for comment.
At-large City Councilman Gary Sandberg said even if Parker can’t hold office, he isn’t breaking any laws by being on the ballot ,because the system allows it.
“Even if (the Election Commission) had the authority and the right to review a candidate’s credentials, as the law has been described . . . it’s against the law to hold office, not run for office,” Sandberg said. “It’s up to the system to cleanse itself.”
Anyone could have registered a complaint about Parker’s candidacy five days after the election’s filing date, which was Dec. 15. After that point, it could have been reviewed by an electoral board. No one did.
A South Peoria bakery was robbed at gunpoint on Thursday afternoon, making it the third armed robbery at the store in the past six weeks.
A man with a handgun entered Butternut Bread Co., 605 S. Shelley St., just after 4 p.m. and demanded money from an employee. He took off on a bicycle with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.
The bakery also was robbed Dec. 29 and Jan. 31.