State’s Attorney Kevin Lyons said Monday that Peoria mayoral candidate General Parker has until Wednesday to withdraw from the race before his office decides how it will proceed.
Lyons said his office could petition a judge to remove Parker’s name from the ballot before the April 7 general election or pursue removal of Parker afterward if the challenger defeats incumbent Mayor Jim Ardis.
In either situation, Lyons said Parker is not eligible to hold public office because he has a felony conviction on his criminal record.
“There is no doubt, Mr. Parker will not hold municipal office with those felony convictions,” Lyons said. “If his objective is to see his name on the ballot, ye-haw to that. But he will not serve office.”
Parker, however, said Monday he is “not quitting,” despite an inability to hold municipal office because he has at least one felony conviction on his record stemming from a 1984 car theft in Peoria.
“I’m not bowing out of the race, and (Lyons’ office) can do what they feel after that,” Parker said. “They can’t make me quit, they can’t make me get off the ballot. I’m not quitting the people. Never have, never will. As long as they want me to continue fighting for them, that is what I’ll do.”
Lyons’ office sent a letter to Parker Thursday demanding he withdraw within one week.
Lyons said he will wait until Thursday before publicly saying how his office will proceed, but he was hoping Parker would have withdrawn by now.
“I gave Mr. Parker a courtesy week to withdraw mainly because most people seek public office, you hope, in a sense of altruism,” Lyons said. “You would like to afford them the opportunity to self-correct an ineligibility or conflict. I don’t think anyone believes Mr. Parker was interested in self-correcting.”
Lyons also said Parker’s plight to get his past crimes pardoned by the governor began at least two years ago, when a request was forwarded to then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Parker has previously said he hopes to get a pardon from Gov. Pat Quinn’s office.
“Mr. Parker knew very well that he was ineligible (to run for mayor),” Lyons said.
Resolving Parker’s situation also comes with a tight deadline.
Tom Bride, executive director of the Peoria Election Commission, said the beginning of absentee, in-person voting at his office could begin as soon as Wednesday. Early voting is March 16.
Bride said if Parker or any candidate files a withdrawal request Tuesday, it can go before an electoral board which can accept it. But once any type of voting begins this week, withdrawal requests won’t be accepted.
He said it is not the Election Commission’s job to remove candidates from ballots, even if they are convicted felons.
A judge can do that, Lyons said. But he also understands that by doing so, it can be costly, because ballots have to be redone.
Also Monday, City Council members were relatively mum toward the mayoral race. No one publicly called for Parker to withdraw. Mayor Jim Ardis could not be reached for comment.
At-large City Councilman Gary Sandberg said even if Parker can’t hold office, he isn’t breaking any laws by being on the ballot ,because the system allows it.
“Even if (the Election Commission) had the authority and the right to review a candidate’s credentials, as the law has been described . . . it’s against the law to hold office, not run for office,” Sandberg said. “It’s up to the system to cleanse itself.”
Anyone could have registered a complaint about Parker’s candidacy five days after the election’s filing date, which was Dec. 15. After that point, it could have been reviewed by an electoral board. No one did.
A South Peoria bakery was robbed at gunpoint on Thursday afternoon, making it the third armed robbery at the store in the past six weeks.
A man with a handgun entered Butternut Bread Co., 605 S. Shelley St., just after 4 p.m. and demanded money from an employee. He took off on a bicycle with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.
The bakery also was robbed Dec. 29 and Jan. 31.
A 17-year-old Manual student was beaten and sexually assaulted in an alley near Manual High School on Monday afternoon.
The victim told police she was approached by two men in an alley about 3:50 p.m. Monday while walking home in the 2100 block of West Lincoln Avenue.
She was struck in the face and forced to the ground behind an unattached garage in the 2100 block of South Lincoln Avenue, where she was repeatedly struck and then sexually assaulted by one man as the other man watched, police said.
The man who lives at the house behind which the crime occurred said he was home at the time but didn’t hear or see anything because he was watching TV in the front room of his house. But shortly after the assault, the man, who asked that his name not be used, saw signs of a struggle behind his garage, he said.
“There was fresh snow on the ground, and you could see where someone had been wrestled down in the snow,” he said.
One suspect was described as a black male, approximately 5-foot-7 with an average build. He was wearing a black coat and a blue ski mask over his face and smelled as if he had been drinking alcohol, police said. The victim could not describe the other man, who she said did not participate in the assault.
But because the assault took place near Manual High School and Tyng Primary School shortly after they let out for the day, police urged parents to be mindful of their children’s whereabouts after school and for students to walk home in groups and stay on main streets and thoroughfares.
One couple who lives in the 2100 block of Lincoln said their two daughters, ages 13 and 14, walk to and from Trewynn Middle School every day. However, the couple, who asked that their names not be used, said they will drive their daughters from now on, given Monday’s incident, which happened just yards from their home.
“It scares me to death that this happened in broad daylight,” said the mother of the two girls. “They won’t be walking anywhere anymore.”
Except that a second suspect was involved, Monday’s attack was reminiscent of the sexual assault a year ago of a 16-year-old girl on her way to school.
Monterius Hinkle was convicted of that assault in November and sentenced to 26 years in prison. Hinkle came up behind his victim, put her in a choke hold and dragged her through an alley and a yard before taking her to his 2805 W. Malone St. house, where he sexually assaulted her.
Hinkle is alleged to have committed two other sexual assaults on young victims around West Malone Avenue, also just blocks away from Manual High School.
Anyone with information regarding Monday’s assault is urged to contact the Peoria Police Department at 673-4521 or Crime Stoppers at 673-9000.
A Pekin man walking in a South Peoria neighborhood Thursday evening was robbed of his coat and $5 in cash at gunpoint.
The 35-year-old victim was walking in the 2900 block of West Nevada Street at about 5:40 p.m. when two men reportedly approached him and asked him if he wanted to buy drugs.
He refused the drugs, and the men demanded he give them his coat, according to police reports. When he told them no, one reportedly pulled a gun and again demanded the victim’s coat and money.
He gave the men $5 in cash and his coat before they each punched him seven or eight times and discussed which one was going to kill him, he told police. The man eventually broke free and ran. He was later treated for minor injuries at Pekin Hospital.
We all know that almost 100% of crimes are committed by Niggers in South Peoria as almost only niggers live their. It would seem Tyrone wasn’t able to learn how a car works after dropping out of high school. Stupid Niggers. 🙂
South Peoria sees rash of attempted car thefts
A car thief was apparently unsuccessful with stealing four cars Saturday evening but left them with ignitions broken.
Four South Peoria residents called police to report attempted vehicle thefts, all occurring between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday. The steering columns were pried off on all four cars, so the ignition no longer functioned.
Two residents said the cars were parked between the 700 and 1000 blocks of Blaine Street and another was a couple of blocks away in the 1600 block of Antoinette Street. The fourth reported his car was parked in the 900 block of Greenlawn, which was within the same three-block radius.
In each case, the thief either opened an unlocked door or broke out a window to get inside the car. Damages were estimated at about $500 for each vehicle.
Police have not formally connected the cases, and no arrests had been made as of Monday.