A pair of shootings overnight Wednesday brought to two dozen the number of victims in the city in the last two weeks – a figure that elevates the amount of recent gun violence to a possibly unprecedented level.
The tally, compiled by the Journal Star and confirmed by the Peoria Police Department, includes the public suicide of Bernell Alexander last week in South Peoria, but not the slaying of his ex-wife in Creve Coeur just minutes before he took his own life.
The most recent victims included a man who was shot in the shoulder at 10:45 p.m. Wednesday in the 3400 block of Sunburst Lane in the Lexington Hills apartments and a man with a gunshot wound to the neck who was taken by private vehicle to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center at 3:13 a.m. Thursday. The second victim told police he was shot while he was a passenger in a vehicle driving through Harrison Homes.
The second shooting marked the 24th victim of gunfire since June 16, when a pair of afternoon shootings kicked off a 12-hour spree of violence that resulted in one fatality and five other people being wounded, including two children who were sleeping on the floor of their North Valley home.
Just a few days later, six people – all teens between the ages of 16 and 19 – were shot during two incidents less than a couple of hours apart.
Several days with multiple shootings and the city’s 15th and most recent homicide have since transpired, leading Lt. Vince Wieland of the Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division to label the period the worst in terms of local gun violence in decades.
“I haven’t seen two weeks like this in my 23 years,” Wieland said Thursday. “I can’t remember two weeks that have been this packed with such a number of violent acts.”
Compared to last year, however, the number of shootings so far this year does not appear to be abnormally high. Through June 22, the city had recorded 58 shootings, compared to 45 over the same time period last year.
“When we’re looking back to June 22, there isn’t that much of an increase, it’s just how it’s coming – it’s coming in bunches,” Wieland said. “It’s getting everyone’s attention because there’s been so many so quickly.”
Several of the shootings appear to be connected and gang-related, and the police have responded in part by temporarily reassigning an officer to a gang intelligence position that was cut at the beginning of the year to ease a $14.5 million citywide deficit.
Wieland called that position critical for investigations of shootings and a better way for the police to keep tabs on what’s happening on the streets. So far, the gang violence appears to have been generated by people and groups familiar to investigators, though some ground was lost when the gang intelligence position was vacant.
“We did lose some vital information that we were tracking,” Wieland said.
Though the recent spike in gun violence has caught the attention of authorities and onlookers for its unusual frequency, it remains, to a certain extent, part of a pattern that repeats every year.
Elaine Frye, executive director of emergency medical services at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, acknowledges the unusually large cluster of shootings in the last two weeks but also notes that more victims of violence tend to visit the level-one trauma center as temperatures rise.
“There is a seasonality to it – when the weather is nicer, more people are outside and roaming,” she said. “We see it every year. When the weather breaks, we see more stabbings, shootings and violence.”
The recent level of violence, she said, has not affected emergency operations at the hospital
A man who gained notoriety for firing upon a fellow student in a crowded Peoria high school hallway – then had his prison term for the crime significantly reduced on appeal – has been arrested in connection with a recent wave of gun violence.
Dione Alexander, 21, with a last known address of 921 S. Folkers Ave., turned himself in to police Wednesday. He was questioned and arrested in connection to shootings June 16 at 1916 W. Marquette Ave. and Sunday at 1204 W. Millman St. He was booked on charges of attempted murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, aggravated discharge of a firearm, armed violence and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon in each case.
Police also have made three other arrests – Dietrich J. Richardson II, 22, of 217 S. Western Ave.; Tristan L. Shelton, 19, of 2817 W. Marquette Ave.; and an unidentified juvenile – related to two weekend shootings.
Deandte M. Lewis, 19, of 510 W. McClure Ave. additionally was arrested Saturday for allegedly shooting Darian T. Johnson in the buttock June 16 in the 2800 block of West Wiswall Street. Lewis was released from Peoria County Jail on Monday with a notice to appear in court, though it is unclear what charges he will face.
Alexander was a 15-year-old freshman at Woodruff High School in January 2005 when he opened fire on a boy with whom he had been feuding. No one was injured, but the school and neighborhood were locked down for hours and increased school security measures followed the incident.
The intended target, Omar Porter, also has made headlines in the years since the incident for gun and drug crimes for which he has repeatedly been sent to prison.
Peoria County Judge James Shadid sentenced Alexander to 24 years in prison after he was convicted of the Woodruff shooting in 2006, but that term was later overturned by the Third District Appellate Court in Ottawa. When the case returned to Shadid’s courtroom for a new sentence, he again imposed the 24-year term.
The identical sentence prompted the appellate judges to take the rare step of imposing a new, vastly reduced term of six years for Alexander because the judges insisted Shadid had not properly considered the shooter’s troubled childhood and put too much emphasis on the location of the shooting, at a school.
Judges Mary K. O’Brien and Mary McDade agreed in the 2-1 decision that the reduced term was appropriate, while Judge William Holdridge dissented. By the time that decision was handed down, it essentially amounted to an order for early release, and Alexander was paroled in July 2009.
Police now believe he was involved in a shooting about 3:10 p.m. June 16 at the Marquette Street address. A man was shot in the lower calf as he sat outside his house.
He is also suspected in the shootings at a South Peoria house party early Sunday. Authorities were called to 1204 W. Millman St. about 12:15 a.m. after shots were fired from a vehicle – possibly parked on Butler Street behind the Millman address – into a group of about 50 or 60 teenagers. When police arrived, no one claimed to have been shot.
But a second call of shots fired came in about 2 a.m. at 2129 W. Wiswall St., and police found six people there with gunshot wounds. Two of the victims apparently were shot during the first incident and went to the Wiswall Street location. None of the victims – aged 16 to 19 – was seriously injured.
Peoria police issued a notice for officers to arrest Alexander in connection with the shooting on Millman Street late Tuesday, and he was nearly apprehended in Peoria Heights within a matter of hours but escaped.
A Peoria Heights police officer spotted Alexander walking from 804 E. Paris Ave. with 19-year-old resident Jacqueline Bullins to a vehicle parked outside the home just after 12 a.m. Wednesday. The officer attempted to apprehend Alexander, but he fled on foot and escaped.
Officers took the driver of the vehicle, Shelton, into custody and found several small packages of marijuana in his pocket. On the passenger seat of the car was a loaded handgun, which police also seized.
Shelton’s connection to the shooting on Millman Street on Sunday is unclear, but he was booked on a charge of attempted murder for that incident. Charges related to the incident during which he was apprehended in Peoria Heights include armed violence, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, possession of a firearm without a valid firearm owner’s identification card, possession of a firearm projectile, possession of 10 to 30 grams of marijuana and possession of 10 to 30 grams of marijuana with intent to deliver.
Shelton was convicted in 2008 of possession of between 30 and 500 grams of marijuana with intent to deliver and sentenced to 30 months in prison. Prior to that, he had served stints in juvenile prison on stolen vehicle and weapons charges. According to the Department of Corrections website, he was not on parole at the time of the alleged shootings.
The second arrest related to the Sunday shootings occurred in South Peoria on Tuesday and appears unrelated to the incident in Peoria Heights. Richardson was taken into custody near his home after an armed robbery about 4:40 p.m. in the parking lot of JJ Fish and Chicken, 913 S. Western Ave.
A customer was robbed at gunpoint of his wallet and cell phone, and police took Richardson into custody while investigating that crime, though he is not suspected of participating in the robbery.
Richardson was booked on charges of six counts of attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a firearm in an occupied vehicle, felon in possession of a weapon and obstructing justice. The charges are connected to both Sunday shootings. He was convicted of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in August 2008 and sentenced to two years of probation and 30 days in jail. The probation was scheduled to lapse in less than two months.
A 13-year-old boy was indicted Tuesday by a Peoria County grand jury for allegedly robbing a South Side Bank branch last month at gunpoint.
Deonte Moore of 2815 W. Starr St. faces a single count of armed robbery for the April 13 heist at the bank’s 2119 SW Adams St. branch. Within 30 minutes, the boy was found in a garage behind a house in the 900 block of South Louisa Street and arrested.
His clothes had been splattered with ink from a dye pack placed in a bag of money taken from the bank.
He remained in the Peoria County Juvenile Detention Center on $300,000 bond.
State law allows a juvenile to be tried as an adult if he or she is older than 13 and a judge finds “it is not in the best interest of the public” for the youth to remain in the juvenile courts.
This means a sentence of at least 21 years and possibly up to 45 years in prison, given that a handgun was used, if the youth is convicted. Staying in the juvenile system would have sealed the case to the public, and any imprisonment would have ended at Moore’s 21st birthday.
His arraignment is scheduled for Thursday.
A judge on Monday will decide whether a Peoria man charged with rape will be able to stand trial in another county.
Kevin Lowe, an attorney representing Monterius Hinkle, said Thursday he believed his client wouldn’t be able to receive a fair trial based on the publicity of his arrest and subsequent appearances in court.
Hinkle, 21, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 26 years in prison in November for raping a 16-year-old girl after he grabbed her and dragged her through an alley, a yard and into his home in the 2800 block of West Malone Street in broad daylight.
While that case is now being appealed, Hinkle faces two other pending rape cases – one of which Lowe said he is attempting to have moved.
Hinkle’s cases also became a political football in last year’s campaign for the office of Peoria County state’s attorney.
Hinkle faces a combined 60 years in prison if convicted in the two cases, which involve alleged assaults in August and June 2007.
State’s Attorney Kevin Lyons said Monday that Peoria mayoral candidate General Parker has until Wednesday to withdraw from the race before his office decides how it will proceed.
Lyons said his office could petition a judge to remove Parker’s name from the ballot before the April 7 general election or pursue removal of Parker afterward if the challenger defeats incumbent Mayor Jim Ardis.
In either situation, Lyons said Parker is not eligible to hold public office because he has a felony conviction on his criminal record.
“There is no doubt, Mr. Parker will not hold municipal office with those felony convictions,” Lyons said. “If his objective is to see his name on the ballot, ye-haw to that. But he will not serve office.”
Parker, however, said Monday he is “not quitting,” despite an inability to hold municipal office because he has at least one felony conviction on his record stemming from a 1984 car theft in Peoria.
“I’m not bowing out of the race, and (Lyons’ office) can do what they feel after that,” Parker said. “They can’t make me quit, they can’t make me get off the ballot. I’m not quitting the people. Never have, never will. As long as they want me to continue fighting for them, that is what I’ll do.”
Lyons’ office sent a letter to Parker Thursday demanding he withdraw within one week.
Lyons said he will wait until Thursday before publicly saying how his office will proceed, but he was hoping Parker would have withdrawn by now.
“I gave Mr. Parker a courtesy week to withdraw mainly because most people seek public office, you hope, in a sense of altruism,” Lyons said. “You would like to afford them the opportunity to self-correct an ineligibility or conflict. I don’t think anyone believes Mr. Parker was interested in self-correcting.”
Lyons also said Parker’s plight to get his past crimes pardoned by the governor began at least two years ago, when a request was forwarded to then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Parker has previously said he hopes to get a pardon from Gov. Pat Quinn’s office.
“Mr. Parker knew very well that he was ineligible (to run for mayor),” Lyons said.
Resolving Parker’s situation also comes with a tight deadline.
Tom Bride, executive director of the Peoria Election Commission, said the beginning of absentee, in-person voting at his office could begin as soon as Wednesday. Early voting is March 16.
Bride said if Parker or any candidate files a withdrawal request Tuesday, it can go before an electoral board which can accept it. But once any type of voting begins this week, withdrawal requests won’t be accepted.
He said it is not the Election Commission’s job to remove candidates from ballots, even if they are convicted felons.
A judge can do that, Lyons said. But he also understands that by doing so, it can be costly, because ballots have to be redone.
Also Monday, City Council members were relatively mum toward the mayoral race. No one publicly called for Parker to withdraw. Mayor Jim Ardis could not be reached for comment.
At-large City Councilman Gary Sandberg said even if Parker can’t hold office, he isn’t breaking any laws by being on the ballot ,because the system allows it.
“Even if (the Election Commission) had the authority and the right to review a candidate’s credentials, as the law has been described . . . it’s against the law to hold office, not run for office,” Sandberg said. “It’s up to the system to cleanse itself.”
Anyone could have registered a complaint about Parker’s candidacy five days after the election’s filing date, which was Dec. 15. After that point, it could have been reviewed by an electoral board. No one did.
A South Peoria bakery was robbed at gunpoint on Thursday afternoon, making it the third armed robbery at the store in the past six weeks.
A man with a handgun entered Butternut Bread Co., 605 S. Shelley St., just after 4 p.m. and demanded money from an employee. He took off on a bicycle with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.
The bakery also was robbed Dec. 29 and Jan. 31.
Fuck This Lying Nigger!!
Peoria police Lt. Marshall Dunnigan continued his legal spat with City Hall with yet another lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court this week, alleging racial discrimination.
The suit, filed Wednesday, states the punishment the 28-year veteran received for allegations he took winnings from another gambler at the Par-A-Dice Riverboat Casino in November 2006 – he was fired – was “different and more severe than the discipline” imposed upon other white police employees.
Recently, the city gave Dunnigan $37,240 in back pay and benefits after an arbitrator ruled last year the city failed to establish Dunnigan committed a crime. The amount Dunnigan received was likely more as the city agreed to also repay his pension for the money Dunnigan withdrew while out of work for 16 months.
The suit filed this week seems to mirror that earlier arbitration, with a key difference being that Dunnigan is now asking for attorneys’ fees as well as “damages sufficient to compensate him for the emotional distress, mental anguish, embarrassment, inconvenience and loss in the enjoyment of life suffered by him.”
Dunnigan was fired in March 2007, and he has always maintained his termination was more about his displeasure with being passed over for promotion in 2005 and the subsequent filing of a human-rights complaint with state officials than about what happened at the casino.
In 2006, a Human Rights department investigator determined there was no “substantial evidence” to sustain the allegations.
The investigator summed up her report by saying, “The other candidates ranked superior to (Dunnigan). . . . There is no evidence of race, sex or age animus.”
When reached, City Attorney Randy Ray said he had not seen the lawsuit and couldn’t comment further.
In January 2008, Dunnigan filed a similar lawsuit in federal court. Both seek unspecified damages.