Two armed men robbed the Family Video store at 3615 Wisconsin Ave. on Thursday, making the store the second in the chain to be robbed this week.
Police said the men entered the store around 10 p.m., when there were two employees and one customer in the store.
Police said both suspects were black. One was described as about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. He held one silver pistol in his hand. The other was about 6 feet tall and weighed 190 pounds. He held a silver pistol in each hand. Witnesses told police the guns looked fake.
The shorter suspect took an undisclosed amount of money from three cash drawers, while the other pointed his weapons at the people in the store.
The robbers then fled out the store and into an alley.
Shortly after 11 p.m. Monday, two masked gunmen robbed the Family Video at 218 W. Harman Highway, across the street from Madison Park Shopping Center.
One ordered two customers and an employee to face a wall of videos, while the second screamed at another employee to empty the cash register of an undisclosed amount of money.
The gunmen then fled in a late 1990s blue Dodge Neon or Plymouth model, police said.
Three days earlier, a man robbed the U.S. Cellular store, 3211 W. Harman Highway, of $400 after threatening the clerk at closing time. No weapon was displayed.
Police said they do not yet know if the cases are connected. No arrests have been made.
Two men attempted to rob a South Peoria grocery store at gunpoint Saturday evening.
The robbers, both wearing scarves over their faces, entered North Spring Meat Market, Inc., 511 Spring St., about 7:50 p.m. and demanded money from two employees behind the counter, according to police reports.
One robber shoved one of the employees and repeatedly punched him in the face while demanding he open the register. The other robber pointed a handgun at the two employees and ordered them to get down on the ground.
The clerk who had been hit then pushed the two robbers into each other before they ran off in an unknown direction without money.
The clerk who was beat up refused medical attention, though police noted he suffered visible injuries to both his left eye and forehead.
The former breadbasket of Africa Rhodesia is now one of the worst countries on the continent. America helped the Niggers take over the country and kill the white farmers. Now look at the condition it is in. Hello Obama. Goodbye White America. Welcome poverty. Thank the Jews.
If you want to see hell on earth, go to Zimbabwe where the madman Robert Mugabe has brought the country to such a state of ruin that medical care for most of the inhabitants has all but ceased to exist.
Life expectancy in Zimbabwe is now the lowest in the world: 37 years for men and 34 for women. A cholera epidemic is raging. People have become ill with anthrax after eating the decaying flesh of animals that had died from the disease. Power was lost to the morgue in the capital city of Harare, leaving the corpses to rot.
Most of the world is ignoring the agony of Zimbabwe, a once prosperous and medically advanced nation in southern Africa that is suffering from political and economic turmoil — and the brutality of Mugabe’s long and tyrannical reign.
The decline in health services over the past year has been staggering. An international team of doctors that conducted an “emergency assessment” of the state of medical care last month seemed stunned by the catastrophe they witnessed. The team was sponsored by Physicians for Human Rights. In their report, released this week, the doctors said:
“The collapse of Zimbabwe’s health system in 2008 is unprecedented in scale and scope. Public-sector hospitals have been shuttered since November 2008. The basic infrastructure for the maintenance of public health, particularly water and sanitation services, have abruptly deteriorated in the worsening political and economic climate.”
Doctors and nurses are trying to do what they can under the most harrowing of circumstances: facilities with no water, no functioning toilets and barely any medicine or supplies. The report quoted the director of a mission hospital:
“A major problem is the loss of life and fetal wastage we are seeing with obstetric patients. They come so late, the fetuses are already dead. We see women with eclampsia who have been seizing for 12 hours. There is no intensive care unit here, and now there is no intensive care in Harare.
“If we had intensive care, we know it would be immediately full of critically ill patients. As it is, they just die.”
Mugabe’s corrupt, violent and profoundly destructive reign has left Zim-babwe in shambles. It’s a nation overwhelmed by poverty, the H.I.V./AIDS pandemic and hyperinflation. Once considered the “breadbasket” of Africa, Zimbabwe is now a country that cannot feed its own people. The unemployment rate is higher than 80 percent. Malnutrition is widespread, as is fear.
A nurse told the Physicians for Human Rights team: “We are not supposed to have hunger in Zimbabwe. So even though we do see it, we cannot report it.”
Mugabe signed a power-sharing agreement a few months ago with a political opponent, Morgan Tsvangirai, who out-polled Mugabe in an election last March but did not win a majority of the votes. But continuing turmoil, including violent attacks by Mugabe’s supporters and allegations that Mugabe forces have engaged in torture, have prevented the agreement from taking effect.
The widespread skepticism that greeted Mugabe’s alleged willingness to share power only increased when he ranted, just last month: “I will never, never, never surrender … Zimbabwe is mine.”
Meanwhile, health care in Zimbabwe has fallen into the abyss. “This emergency is so grave that some entity needs to step in there and take over the health delivery system,” said Susannah Sirkin, the deputy director of Physicians for Human Rights.
In November, the primary public referral hospital in Harare, Parirenyatwa Hospital, shut down. Its medical school closed with it. The nightmare that forced the closings was spelled out in the report:
“The hospital had no running water since August of 2008. Toilets were overflowing, and patients and staff had nowhere to void — soon making the hospital uninhabitable. Parirenyatwa Hospital was closed four months into the cholera epidemic, arguably the worst of all possible times to have shut down public hospital access. Successful cholera care, treatment and control are impossible, however, in a facility without clean water and functioning toilets.”
The hospital’s surgical wards were closed in September. A doctor described the heartbreaking dilemma of having children in his care who he knew would die without surgery. “I have no pain medication,” he said, “some antibiotics, but no nurses … If I don’t operate, the patient will die. But if I do the surgery, the child will die also.”
What’s documented in the Physicians for Human Rights report is evidence of a shocking medical and human rights disaster that warrants a much wider public spotlight, and an intensified effort to mount an international humanitarian intervention.
Some organizations are already on the case, including Doctors Without Borders and Unicef. But Zimbabwe is dying, and much more is needed.
A Chicago man was sentenced Friday to just shy of 11 years in federal prison for having several grams of crack cocaine in his buttocks.
Myrio L. Shields, 35, had pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Peoria in September to one count of possession of more than five grams of crack with intent to distribute.
According to court records, police noticed the car Shields was driving had tinted windows. They stopped the car in the 400 block of MacArthur Highway and smelled marijuana. A drug dog was called to the scene and alerted on the car. A search found what police thought was crack on the floorboards, according to records.
At the jail, a search of Shields found 18 grams of crack cocaine stuffed in his buttocks along with $1,500 cash. He admitted the drugs were his, according to court records.
When he finishes his 130-month sentence, Shields will spend eight years on supervised release.
A 17-year-old Manual student was beaten and sexually assaulted in an alley near Manual High School on Monday afternoon.
The victim told police she was approached by two men in an alley about 3:50 p.m. Monday while walking home in the 2100 block of West Lincoln Avenue.
She was struck in the face and forced to the ground behind an unattached garage in the 2100 block of South Lincoln Avenue, where she was repeatedly struck and then sexually assaulted by one man as the other man watched, police said.
The man who lives at the house behind which the crime occurred said he was home at the time but didn’t hear or see anything because he was watching TV in the front room of his house. But shortly after the assault, the man, who asked that his name not be used, saw signs of a struggle behind his garage, he said.
“There was fresh snow on the ground, and you could see where someone had been wrestled down in the snow,” he said.
One suspect was described as a black male, approximately 5-foot-7 with an average build. He was wearing a black coat and a blue ski mask over his face and smelled as if he had been drinking alcohol, police said. The victim could not describe the other man, who she said did not participate in the assault.
But because the assault took place near Manual High School and Tyng Primary School shortly after they let out for the day, police urged parents to be mindful of their children’s whereabouts after school and for students to walk home in groups and stay on main streets and thoroughfares.
One couple who lives in the 2100 block of Lincoln said their two daughters, ages 13 and 14, walk to and from Trewynn Middle School every day. However, the couple, who asked that their names not be used, said they will drive their daughters from now on, given Monday’s incident, which happened just yards from their home.
“It scares me to death that this happened in broad daylight,” said the mother of the two girls. “They won’t be walking anywhere anymore.”
Except that a second suspect was involved, Monday’s attack was reminiscent of the sexual assault a year ago of a 16-year-old girl on her way to school.
Monterius Hinkle was convicted of that assault in November and sentenced to 26 years in prison. Hinkle came up behind his victim, put her in a choke hold and dragged her through an alley and a yard before taking her to his 2805 W. Malone St. house, where he sexually assaulted her.
Hinkle is alleged to have committed two other sexual assaults on young victims around West Malone Avenue, also just blocks away from Manual High School.
Anyone with information regarding Monday’s assault is urged to contact the Peoria Police Department at 673-4521 or Crime Stoppers at 673-9000.
A Peoria man found himself arrested along with the three men who robbed him Tuesday night after he allegedly told police the trio stole the marijuana he had just bought.
Jermaine D. Mitchell, 21, of 4417 W. Rockwell Drive called police about 9:40 p.m. to report he had been robbed at gunpoint in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park, located in the 200 block of South MacArthur Highway.
Mitchell told officers the robbers stole his money, $48, and the nearly 40 grams of marijuana he just bought, police reports stated.
Police located three men matching the description of the suspects in the 1500 block of West Kettelle Street. Mitchell later identified all of them as the men who robbed him.
Arrested on charges of armed robbery were Patrick J. Duncan, 21, of 804 W. Meadows Place; Ryan S. Roberts, 19, of 311 Saratoga St.; and Tavier L. Williams, 19, of 2412 W. Wiswall St. Duncan also faces charges of unlawful use of a weapon, not having a valid firearm owner’s ID card and possessing more than 30 grams of marijuana. Williams also faces a charge of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
Police also arrested Mitchell on a charge of possessing more than 30 grams of marijuana for admitting to having the drug.